Adventuring and a Yummy Sandwich!

Hi friends!!!

How is your week going so far??

So- yes- the title of my post is SO RANDOM. 
But- I wanted to tell you a little bit about our weekend AND also share how I make Aaron's FAVORITE sub sandwich. I know- the two topics don't really go together..but I don't feel like splitting them up into 2 separate posts...so just go with it. HA!

So first...about our FUN weekend!!
We went to Asheville, NC this past weekend and got home right around dinner on Sunday. We stayed at the Omni Grove Park Inn and to describe it as FABULOUS would be an understatement!! Aaron had a conference there...and he graciously insisted we tag along with him! The kids and I had the best time swimming at the gorgeous resort pool and exploring the beautiful grounds of the resort while he was in meetings. When he was done for the day, we went and adventured more together as a family!
We stayed up WAAAYYY past bedtime every night, got ice cream for dessert every day and just had the BEST time!
I say it every time we travel...it's never easy getting everything packed up and organized- but it is always SO worth it!! 
I LOVE exploring new places with our kids- it is such a gift and privilege!
We hit the ground running Monday morning, unpacking from our trip, hitting the gym (I may have indulged QUITE a bit on our little weekend trip! HA!) and then we went to the pool. Charlotte and Aaron were back at the pool Monday night for swim team practice...it's our new home away from home! HA!
Tuesday was almost the exact same...gym and pool...with a swim meet on Tuesday night!

Which leads me to the "sandwich" portion of this post!!
I pack our family dinner on swim meet nights and I love making Aaron a "copycat" Jimmy John's sandwich. He LOVES a good, BIG sandwich from Jimmy John's- but- WOW. they are expensive!! You can't get out of there without spending close to $20 for 2 sandwiches, some chips and a drink! NOT the way I like to spend $20! So- I thought I would show you how I make an "at-home version" of a sub sandwich!

Ok- if you want to make an "authentic" deli like sub sandwich- you HAVE to use GOOD bread.  I have used many different kinds of bread and rolls- and I always come back to Walmart's fresh baked french bread that is ONE DOLLAR. We use this bread for sub sandwiches, garlic bread, meatball subs...it is SUPER yummy. It freezes great and did I mention it's $1.00?!?!
 Next- I use high quality deli lunch meat. You can use whatever your family likes..but I am partial to the Boar's Head brand. Now- don't get me wrong- $10.99 for a pound of lunch meat is NOT cheap...but- I can make A LOT of sandwiches with one pound of lunch meat! You pay at least $9 for ONE JJ Gargantuan sandwich from Jimmy John's! 
We like turkey and ham in our house...but this is where you can get whatever your family loves! Salami, ham, turkey, roast beef...whatever!
 Aaron loves good cheese on his sandwiches and I always get our "sandwich" cheese from Aldi! They have an INCREDIBLE selection of cheese of EVERY kind and for both of these deli sliced packages of cheese it was under $4!
 You have to have the "right" lettuce for your deli sandwich! Go to the area in your grocery store where they have salad mixes and get some shredded iceberg lettuce. Trust me- it's the best!
Now it's time to assemble the sandwich!!
I always lay a layer of cheese down first on both sides of the bread. That way there is a "barrier" between the bread and everything else you're going to put on it. Putting the cheese down first, on BOTH sides, helps keep the sandwich from getting soggy.
After the cheese layer, I put mustard on both sides. Aaron isn't a fan of mayo..but if he was- I would put it on the cheese instead of the bread. After the condiments, comes the meat! I just do layers of the lunchmeat....then I sprinkle the lettuce on the opposite end of the bread. 
 For a little something "extra," I added some banana peppers (I get mine at Aldi) and then a small amount of this deli dressing I picked up by the lunch meat counter at my grocery store. You don't have to have "special" deli dressing...any italian salad dressing works great! Just be sure to NOT over do it- because it can take your sandwich from super yummy to a soggy mess QUICKLY!
 And here is the finished sandwich!! They are SO good!
And I have found that if you make them ahead...they are even better...because the flavors of the lunchmeat and dressing all meld together and it's just good stuff :)
 Using one loaf of the Italian bread from Walmart, I get four HUGE sandwiches. Depending on how hungry Aaron is- he will eat 1 or 2 of these for dinner. And then I have 2 more sandwiches leftover to pack in his lunch for the next couple of days!
This sandwich is so great for days on the lake or for a picnic lunch or dinner! Or if you want to make lunch for your husband for the week ;)
You can make it ahead of time- which is always so helpful! 
I am not the greatest with numbers, but I would say that this HUGE sub sandwich, which can feed multiple people, cost about $6, if not less! Sooooo much cheaper than going to Jimmy Johns or another deli! And you get to be in control of your ingredients and what you put on your sandwich! That's always a BIG plus for me!

So there you have it...a quick recap about our weekend and a super yummy sandwich you need to make! NOT random at all. HA! ;)

Hope you have a WONDERFUL Wednesday!
I am working this morning, so the kiddos will go to daycare. Once we get home and have lunch, we plan to go to the library to stock up on books!  
think we might need to hit Sonic up for happy hour drinks too ;)
What are you up to??


Comments

  1. We love making subs at home! I never thought to use French bread. I will try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Using a big !loaf of french bread just makes it that much easier! I LOVE sandwiches..I could eat them every night for dinner if I didn't have to feed my family a variety of foods. HA!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you guys had a great weekend! It's always fun to get away and explore new places =)
    That sandwich looks delicious! We make Italians a lot for get togethers a lot. Kind of like "make your own italian bar". One thing that I love doing is dicing up onions and peppers tossing them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and using them on our sandwiches. It's even better if you let the peppers and onions sit in the olive oil over night. It makes the sandwich SO yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a DELICIOUS idea!!! And I love having it a "make your own" type of thing! That's so fun!!

      Delete
  3. Asheville is such a cool city. When we went, I really wanted to stay at that Omni but the price wasn't quite right for the Thanksgiving break. The sandwich looks delicious. I've never thought of making a sandwich on a big loaf like that. This would be perfect for the kids school lunches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Omni was only in our price range because Aaron's practice paid for it! HA! We had a lot of fun in Asheville!! I would like to go back when the boys are just a bit older and do some more outdoor activities like hiking and tubing! And yes- these sandwiches are SO great to have for school lunches!!

      Delete
  4. Your trip sounds amazing! I love tagging along for work conferences. And your sandwich recipe sounds DELICIOUS. We love Jimmy Johns, but you are so right - $20 at a minimum for not much food. I am going to have to give your version a try. I've never heard of Deli Dressing and that's genius to layer everything the way you do. Can't wait to make your sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun trip. We love getting that bread and doing the same thing! My family could eat them every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always rent a cabin in Hendersonville in the fall and do a day trip to Asheville. There are great hikes that kids can do ( our almost 3 year old at the time kept up great!). Plus sky top orchard is great for apple picking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our Jimmy Johns sells just the bread for $1 or day old bread for .50.

    Any time we go for subs we usually get and extra bread...my kids love it even for just PB&J.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I appreciate your kind comments and love engaging with ya'll!!!

Popular Posts