Hi friends!! Happy Wednesday!!
This month's topic is: How We Work on Our Marriage!
Perfect for the month of LOVE!
So- just for a little background on Aaron and me...we met on Match.com 10 1/2 years ago :)
You can read our full love story by clicking HERE!
On March 29th- we will be celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary...which doesn't really seem possible because I feel like we were JUST dating! But then I see our FIVE kids and it feels VERY real that we have been married for almost 9 years! HA!
I thought it would be fun to include Aaron's thoughts in this post....you know- since I am married to HIM- HA!
Here's what he said about how we work on our marriage:
- We pick our battles. We both REALLY think about what's worth bickering/fighting over and let the rest of it GO!
- We work on keeping things spontaneous- for us, as with most married couples who have children, this can be a little tricky. We aren't able to just pick up and go away for a long weekend...but we DO try to fit little moments of spontaneity in throughout the day. Maybe that's leaving a love note (Aaron likes to put them in places like my wallet or in my planner:), surprising each other with a little treat, stealing a couple of kisses in the laundry room while the kids are playing or taking advantage of an unexpected morning he has off from work and going to work out together!
-We make time for each other...even when it feels like there is NO time to be had!
Some simple ways we do this is: we like to have lunch "dates" on Saturday and Sunday...we feed the kids first, put the boys down for their naps and the girls go to their room and play. We enjoy a lovely, quiet lunch together and it is such a great way to catch up from our busy week! We have our favorite shows we watch together and we really enjoy snuggling up on the couch and relaxing together. We also love working out together- we drop our kiddos off at the childcare center at our gym (we belong to a local YMCA) and we go have a "workout" date! On paper- it seems like there is NEVER enough time to carve out for one another...but there really is! There just has to be a concerted effort to MAKE time!
Now here's MY thoughts on how we work on our marriage...
- I couldn't agree more with what Aaron said about picking your battles. And in addition to that- we really focus on being FORGIVING. We always try to assume the best of each other- not the WORST. If Aaron said or did something that hurt me- I know, most likely, he didn't do it on purpose. We talk about the issue, FORGIVE and MOVE ON. Life is TOO SHORT to hold a silly grudge against the person you love the most!
- We view our marriage as a gift and really treat it that way. I love being able to serve Aaron as his wife and I know he feels the same way about me. We are a really great team and it's because we are grateful for each other and what the other person contributes to our marriage.
- I love my husband how HE (not me) feels MOST loved. Aaron's primary love language is physical touch. So since I want to keep this G-rated...you can make your own assumptions on what exactly I am implying here ;) But seriously- emotional AND physical intimacy in a marriage is SO VERY important! Don't let your crazy schedules, your kids or you just being "too tired" get in the way of connecting with your hubby :)
And that's all I am going to say about that! HA!
About a month ago- I shared some marriage goals Aaron and I are working on this year...you can read about them HERE!
I am really happy to report that we are continuing to focus on our goals and haven't just let them fall to the wayside!
I am so thankful for my marriage and for Aaron. We are FAR from perfect- but we respect each other, love one another fiercely and truly have a blast being together.
We are so grateful God placed us together 10 1/2 years ago and continue to praise Him for all that he has done for us.
All the good times, hard times and everything in between- we count it all as JOY.
So- now it's your turn! Please share some ways YOU work on your marriage!!
Hope you have the BEST day!