Recipe Club: Meatball Subs!

Hi!! Happy Wednesday!!
Is it me or is this week flying by??

So happy to be joining my girls Johannah and Heather for their monthly Recipe Club link up today!!
We had meatball subs for dinner last night- so I thought I would share with you how I make them! This is such an EASY, yummy dinner- and one of the few meals my WHOLE family will eat!

Okay- these are the ingredients needed for my meatball subs. I got everything from Aldi- and with me rounding up the prices of each item and including tax- this all cost right around $9.00!

You will need some:
1 pound of Ground turkey or ground beef- whatever you like to use to make meatballs
Sliced mozzarella cheese (provolone and muenster also work great!)
Jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
Deli rolls- or you could use french bread- any kind of bread that is sturdy and will hold up well :)
 First- I make my meatballs. I don't follow a recipe- I just add an egg, some salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning, a little water and for this batch of meatballs- I had some ritz crackers- so I crumbled up about 5 of those. I bake the meatballs at 425 degrees and it takes them about 15 minutes to cook. 
Here's a TOP rated turkey meatball recipe if you need one!

Then- when they come out of the oven- I dump the jar of sauce over them!
 I almost always make my meatballs ahead of time- it makes dinner SO easy!
Once it's dinner time- I warm up the meatballs and sauce in the microwave and start making the "cheesy" rolls!

I butter the rolls very lightly, then cover them in mozzarella cheese. I pop the rolls in the oven at 450 degrees for about 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and getting bubbly :)
 Once the meatballs are heated through and the cheese is melted on the rolls, I assemble the sandwiches and then pop them back in the oven for just a couple of minutes to get a little "crisp" on the top of the roll.

Here's my husband's plate with the finished product!
We had green beans alongside our subs- but a tossed salad or any other green veggie would be delicious too!
 Here's what my 5 kiddos' plates look liked! 
James got a tiny portion of sandwich and some plain meatball- I wasn't sure what he would like- but he ended up eating it all- SCORE!
This meal is perfect for Marshall- I just give him bite size pieces of meatball and cheese! He gobbled it right up!
And the girls got subs! My girls can be SOOOOO picky- and they always enjoy this meal- which is such a nice departure from the usual- "this is GROSS." HA!
 And for me- here's what my plate looked like! I could have had a roll- but I didn't feel like spending Smart points on it (for those of you who don't know- I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers- so I keep track of daily Smartpoints!)
I had 6 ounces of meatballs with some sauce, a spinach salad with light honey mustard dressing and green beans for 9 Smart points!
(I wish I had some spaghetti squash on hand- because that would have been SO yummy with my meatballs!)
I just love this easy meal for so many reasons- but here's a few:
- you can make ahead the meatballs whenever it's convenient for you!
- make a double batch and pop the other portion in the freezer for spaghetti and meatballs!
- it's an inexpensive but very tasty and satisfying meal!
- it's a meal that can be served several different ways
- if you make the meatballs ahead of time- it's a meal that comes together VERY quickly at dinner time!

Simple. Easy. NO FUSS. My kind of meal!! :)

Hope you have the BEST day!

Comments

  1. I absolutely love meatball subs! A lot of times when I make a big pot of spaghetti and meatballs, I will freeze the left over sauce and meatballs and then pull them out a couple of weeks later for subs. So good and so easy! Thank you for linking up with us!1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben and Ian love meatball subs! I will share this for later! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! My family would love this meal! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your recipe posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! My kids LOVE meatballs so I bet they'd love these. Thanks for all of the Aldi recommendations. Marshall's plate cracked me up! Smart way to serve all those tiny cheese bites. It's so nice to have a recipe your whole family will eat :) PS Your counter tops are GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I just noticed the new countertops. I bet you're loving all the "new" finishes in your new home. Meatball subs are so easy, and I love anything that can be customized for each family member. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your meatball recipe. I've been on the lookout for one that doesn't cost me a ton of points but still has flavor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I appreciate your kind comments and love engaging with ya'll!!!

Popular Posts