Pages

Strawberry, Banana and Kale Smoothie for the Win!

Monday, March 21, 2016

Hi!! Happy Monday!! And HAPPY SPRING!! Despite us having some amazing, warm temperatures the past couple of weeks- it was a BRISK 42 degrees here yesterday on the first day of Spring :) The sun was shining though and my kids, despite saying they were 'freezing' played outside for a good portion of the day. Me? I stayed inside where it was NOT freezing- HA!

How was your weekend? We had a busy Saturday filled with friends over in the morning and a birthday party for Charlotte in the afternoon.  Sunday we went to church, ran a couple of errands and worked on getting the baby's room organized. And when I say "we" I mean Aaron- HA! While he was clearing stuff out of the closet and making multiple trips down to the basement to put things into storage- I was folding laundry and baking cookies :)

And now we start a new week! My girls have a short week of school this week- they have Good Friday and Easter Monday off. I am SO looking forward to spending some special time together, celebrating Easter! (It is one of my favorite holidays!)
So- I normally post my weekly menu plan on Monday's, but I decided to take a break from that this week- 1) because our meals are really boring this week and 2) because I wanted to share an easy way I get at least 2-3 servings of fruits and veggies into my kids every day!

First- I have to share my love for our Ninja Blender. We invested in a Ninja Blender about 3 years ago, after our trusty, classic Cuisinart blender bit the dust. I LOVE smoothies- I have one EVERY day for my breakfast and my kids love smoothies too- so when we were looking to get a new blender- we wanted to a get a powerful one. We looked at the Vitamix- and while the reviews were amazing- it was WAY out of our price range.  We ended up finding a great deal on our Ninja on Ebay and it has worked GREAT for us!! It is by far the MOST used appliance in our kitchen!

So- now for my favorite smoothie "combination." And obviously- this is not a Pinterest worthy "recipe"- but if you have been reading my blog for any amount of time- you know that's just NOT how I roll- HA! 

Okay- I get all of my frozen fruits and veggies from Aldi. If you have an Aldi near you- but have not shopped there- this would be the perfect reason to pop in and give them a try! The prices on their frozen fruit is extremely cheap AND if you prefer to use organic fruits- they have those too! In their freezer section, they always have organic, frozen strawberries and blueberries. They also have a variety of non-organic frozen fruits, like the strawberries and blueberries I have pictured, along with frozen peaches, a berry "mix" (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) and a "tropical" mix (pineapple, peaches and strawberries). 
Right by the frozen veggies, they have bags of frozen kale and frozen spinach- which is PERFECT for smoothies! I buy my bananas fresh- and then break them into small pieces and freeze them.
 The key to a PERFECT smoothie (in my opinion) is making sure that everything you are putting in it- is FROZEN. That is going to ensure your smoothie has a "milkshake" like texture and it also helps keeps all of the flavors mild and not super strong. For example, a few times, I have run out of frozen bananas and I will throw a couple fresh pieces of banana in my kids' smoothies. They won't drink them when I do that!! The banana flavoring is too strong for them and the consistency is weird. So for us- everything we put in our smoothies is frozen. 

To make our favorite strawberry + blueberry + banana + kale smoothie is SO simple:
In one of our Ninja smoothie cups, I put:
3 ice cubes
1/3 cup of blueberries
3 large strawberries
3 banana pieces 
1/4 cup kale
1 stevia packet (to give it a little sweetness- you can totally leave this out or use your preferred sweetener like honey or agave nectar!)
For the kids- I use 2% milk, when I make my smoothie- I used unsweetened, vanilla almond milk. 
(I JUST ran out of blueberries- so I added another strawberry in place of the blueberries for this smoothie) 
 I pour liquid all the way to the "fill" line and then blend it up!
 It comes out perfect every time!
What I love about this smoothie is that EVERYONE in my family loves them. My two pickiest eaters drink smoothies up (despite knowing there is "salad" in them- HAHA!), my husband loves when I make them for him and James is obsessed with them! I make him a smoothie every day for his lunch. You absolutely can NOT taste the kale- but it is such an easy and awesome way to get a serving or two of veggies in- especially if you have picky eaters in your house like I do- and it is like doing a root canal without drugs to get them eat something fresh and healthy. HA!

(this is "real life" for us- 6:30 am and starting off our morning with a smoothie!)
 And just in case you were in need of a great smoothie "cup" for little ones- this one is our favorite: Reduce GoGo's Kids Straw Cup. It has a locking top lid and a straw that can't pull out!
I would love to know- do you make smoothies a lot?? Do you have a favorite "recipe" that you use? Share it with me! :)
I could honestly have a smoothie for every meal- I love them that much!

Hope you have the BEST day!! 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like we had similar weekends... the husbands nesting for us! HAHA. I definitely want to try that yummy smoothie! Looks like one my son would love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so not a smoothie fan --- maybe if I could find one that tastes like a milkshake???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on a smoothie kick and then got lazy. I should try this with my kids. If my son drinks it I will cry from happiness!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Let's keep it nice though...ain't nobody got time for anything else!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS