One EASY Recipe- Used FIVE Ways!

While I really enjoying having a healthy, yummy meal ready for my family every night...it can get REALLY old planning out meals and cooking EVERY night.  Especially in this season of life I am in right now with 4 young, ENERGETIC children- 
I am all about short cuts and making things as easy as possible.  

Today I wanted to share with you how I take ONE crock pot recipe and can use it for FIVE different meals.  This is so great for saving time and stretching what I spend on my food budget!

I love this recipe from Skinnytaste.com.  Actually- I love all of Gina's recipes!  They are so healthy, flavorful and for the most part easy!  Yesterday, I went to make her recipe for Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken....but didn't have all of the ingredients I needed.  So- I just used what I had on hand and it turned out great!  It is a really adaptable recipe and makes A LOT!

My adapted version of Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken:

3 large chicken breasts
1 can black beans (undrained)
1 can corn (drained) - this is optional- if you have it great- if not- no biggie!
1 can fire roasted tomatoes (undrained)
About 1 cup of your favorite salsa
I "eyeballed" the following seasonings...but the approximate measurements are:
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (a few fresh diced cloves of garlic would be great too)
Couple dashes of chili powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for about 4 hours.  Shred chicken right in the crock pot about 15-30 minutes before you are ready to eat.
This mixture freezes great...so put your leftover portions in a tupperware and put in the freezer for a dinner later in the month!

Now here is where the fun comes in!  Here are FIVE different ways you can use this Santa Fe chicken mixture:
1)  "Chipotle" Burrito Bowl Style: Make some rice or quinoa, shred lettuce and make a layered bowl of lettuce, rice and chicken mixture.  
Top with sour cream, cheese, salsa and avocado!
2) Baked Crunchy Chicken Tacos:  Take crunchy taco shells, stuff with some chicken mixture and cheese and warm in the oven (at about 475) until they are warmed through and cheese is melted.  Add lettuce and other favorite toppings!
3) Use chicken mixture for filling in enchiladas!  Take soft flour tortillas, fill each with some chicken mixture and some shredded cheese.  Use your favorite enchilada sauce and pour some in the bottom of a casserole dish. Put filled tortillas in dish, top with more enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.  
Bake at 450 until enchiladas are warmed through and cheese is bubbling! 
Serve with your favorite toppings!
4) Chicken Nachos!  Get round tortilla chips or the "scoops" kind. Cover a baking sheet with foil.  Fill or top your chips with chicken mixture and then sprinkle on some cheese.  Put in the oven at 475 until warmed through and cheese is melted.  
Serve with salsa and sour cream!
5) Chicken soft tacos!  Just take your choice of corn tortillas or flour tortillas, chicken mixture and your favorite taco toppings and create the yummiest soft tacos ever!



With my adapted recipe mentioned above, I was able to get 3 portions of chicken mixture.  So- for the 5 minutes it took me to dump everything in the crock pot- I was able to get 3 dinners!  


That just makes me happy! :)  Yummy, easy, and healthy.  Doesn't get much better than that for a weeknight dinner!!

Do you have any crock pot recipes you use in multiple meals?? I am always looking for great crock pot recipes! Share your favorite recipe with me!


Comments

Popular Posts