Patriot Challenge Race!

One of the "things" that really connected Aaron and I when we first met was our love for exercise, outdoor activities and doing fun races.  While we were dating and first married, we ran a lot of 5Ks, a couple 10Ks and a half marathon together!  Then going back to school, babies, work, moving, more babies and life in general happened and while we have always continued to exercise together, we put a "hold" on participating in races.  

Back in January, I saw a Groupon for a discounted admission to the Patriot Challenge Race and knew that I had to sign Aaron and I up for it!! I gave him the "coupon" for his birthday and he was SO excited!!

This past Sunday was race day!  While I feel like I am in pretty decent shape, I was SO SO nervous about the various obstacles we were going to have do.  Aaron is ALL about that kind of stuff...but I am not nearly as inclined when it comes to doing things that fall into the "hard core" category- HA!

See- I told you he was hard core!!
The race ended up being a lot of fun and the only thing I couldn't fully do was a set of monkey bars :)  My girls are quite appalled Mommy doesn't know how to do the monkey bars- but ever since I fell off them in first grade and knocked the wind out of me...well- I have been scarred for life! HA!
We climbed a lot of mud piles, waded through several muddy, water pits (like up to our chest deep!), we flipped over huge tires and ran up bleachers with super heavy kettle balls.  We did each obstacle together, even though I know at times my super competitive husband wanted to race ahead :)  It was the BEST way to spend a couple of hours together!
Because we have never lived by family and due to the nature of Aaron's schedule, we don't get the opportunity to do things as a couple very often.  Now please- don't think I am having a pity party for us- it is just the way it is for us!  But because of our few and far between dates, we have a HUGE appreciation for the time we do get to spend together.  
We are so blessed to have met some friends where we live now, that are crazy generous and have watched our children several times for us in the short time we have known them.  And they are not just watching our kids as a "favor," they truly LOVE hanging out with them- which makes me even more grateful!!

So...that was kind of a tangent...but what I was trying to say is that- Aaron and I had a blast running the race together; but more than that, we loved being out in the sunshine, side by side, being reminded of how blessed we are to have another.  
Our marriage is a gift and we are so thankful for it!

Do you enjoy doing races/exercising/outdoor activities with your husband??
If you have older kids, do you do them as a family?  Aaron and I can't wait until our kids are older and we can start doing races and challenges all together!

Hope you have an awesome day!!

Comments

  1. What a great way to bond &I reconnect too!! Oh and girlfriend! You've got yourself some guns in those arms! ;) we do races as a family. Partly because we live no where near family but mostly because we want our kids to see us active and learn different ways to be active from an early age.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I appreciate your kind comments and love engaging with ya'll!!!

Popular Posts