Tuesday Talk!

Hey friends!!!
Happy Tuesday!!

How was your weekend??
Is your week off to a good start??

We had a good weekend...Saturday it rained alllll day- except for 2 hours in the morning- which we were outside the whole time. I have a slight obsession with checking the weather app and I timed it so the kids and I could go on a trail run, play at the park and eat donuts outside before the rain started!
It was supposed to rain on Sunday...but it didn't! And it made for such a nice day. We were so thankful to be able to play outside and enjoy the sunshine!

We've hit the ground running this week...it's a jam packed one for us...but what else is new, right?!? HA!

So...there's no real point to this post other than to chat about a few things I thought would be fun to share. 
I am the queen of the most random blog posts...but I am okay with that! HA! ;)

We had Celine's Birthday "re-do" this past Saturday and it was such a fun, sweet time!
Celine requested I make her a rainbow layer cake this year. I LOVE to bake...but I pretty much stay in a safe zone of using a cake mix and then making homemade cream cheese icing and calling it a day.
Needless to say, I was a little apprehensive to make a 6 layer cake...but I used this recipe and it seemed pretty foolproof!
It ended up turning out SO good!!!
It's obviously not "Pinterest Perfect" but we all loved it and Celine was just SO SO excited about her cake...which is all that mattered to me!
She picked out the colors for her layers...and called them "unicorn rockstar" colors! HA!

And just a tip- for the icing I mixed my homemade cream cheese icing with about a 1/2 tub of cool whip and it turned out SO good. I thought with such a large cake, using a TON of cream cheese icing would be too sweet- so mixing some cool whip with it really lightened it up and the icing came out nice and "fluffy!"
Let's talk about going out to eat with your kids.
UGH.
Or let's not. HA!

So- up until last year- we RARELY took the kids out for dinner. Since moving to Greenville last year, we started going out once a month, on a family date. Our girls do a great job (minus a few reminders for having proper manners) but our boys are a WHOLE different story. James is 3.5 and Marshall just turned 2- and they are WILD. and NAUGHTY. and make going out to eat somewhat painful. HA!

We usually go to Mellow Mushroom for our family date night- we can eat outside and the restaurant is very family friendly. The boys do fairly well when we go there- but I would definitely not call it a relaxing dining experience.
Well...outside of eating at Mellow Mushroom (or Chick-Fil-A)- the boys just do NOT get the memo on how they should act.
Soooo...a couple weeks ago- we went out to eat at Red Robin for Celine's birthday dinner- and James and Marshall (and to be honest- the girls too) were being AWFUL. So awful that about 2 minutes before they brought out our food- I threw in the towel! HA!
I had Aaron tell our waiter to box all of our food to go and we went to a park to eat our dinner. 
Sometimes you just have to wave the white flag- which is exactly what we did!
It ended up being a fun evening- the kids were super happy to go to the park- but Aaron and I weren't happy about the fact we didn't get to take advantage of the bottomless french fries Red Robin is famous for.
Parenting 101: You win some. You lose some.
HA!
We have a fun project starting at our house tomorrow!!
We are getting an enclosed porch put on the back of our house!!
We have hired a contractor to do about 1/2 of the job- and then Aaron will finish the rest of it himself.
We need professionals to frame the porch, put up a roof that is connected to the back of our house and wire it for electricity. Aaron will enclose the porch, put in all the windows, doors, and all of the finishing touches. 
I found this picture as a inspiration for how I would like him to finish the ceiling of the porch!
Aren't those boards so neat? 
I will want our boards to be painted white...but you get the idea!
We are SO SO excited to have this new space added to our house. I am going to live out there this summer!! I cannot wait to drink my coffee and watch the sunrise from our new porch!
I will be sure to keep you updated on the progress! It should only take the building crew about a week to get their work done. Then, it will be a little longer before the porch is totally finished, since Aaron will be doing it as he has available time.

So- now that I have shared some super randoms...what about you??
What's going on in your life??

Share something random with me!!

Hope you have the BEST day!

Comments

  1. You did so GREAT on the cake! It looks great!
    Oh that porch is to die for! I think I am taking a drive to enjoy coffee with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. That's it. What weekend are you coming here??? I will have your room ready!

      Delete
  2. The cake is so cute!!! And I will meet Heather for coffee with you at your place!! haha =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get with Heather and let's make it happen!!!! You know I only live 90 minutes from the beach!!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for being so honest about the eating out situation! I have a three year old boy and thought we were the only ones fleeing restaurants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes girl! It is NOT easy with crazy little boys!! HA!

      Delete
  4. That porch. So exciting.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake really is pinterest ready! I love the enclosed porch - you'll really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I remember going out to eat when the kids were little. The extended family would ask us to meet for dinner and they would take so long eating. I was just there holding my 2 under 2 and ready for the meal to end. We were big fans of salad bars and cafeterias!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Confession: I let my kids watch stuff on the family iPad with HEADPHONES on at restaurants. I have heard some negative feedback about having dinner “together” without distractions. What I say to that is, we have dinner all the time together at home! It almost allows us to have a “date night” without babysitter cost because the kids aren’t paying attention to adult conversation and they are kept very occupied but I’m always a little bit ashamed Lol!!! Anyhoo- that cake turned out awesome and I am drooling over the porch inspiration pic. I absolutely can NOT wait to see it come to life. So so so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man... I feel you on the struggles of eating out with little boys! They're nuts :) So we usually get take out or try to eat fast. I've definitely done the box up the dinner we just ordered and eat it at home before. Glad you were able to enjoy your dinner at the park. That unicorn rainbow layered cake is AMAZING!! Way to go!! What a fun birthday treat for her redo party. I love cool whip frosting so the combo of the pretty layers and that frosting sound delicious to me. Your new screened in porch is going to be so nice. Can't wait to see it all come together!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I appreciate your kind comments and love engaging with ya'll!!!

Popular Posts