Giving the Gift of TIME

Hey friends!!!

Happy Monday!!!

How was your weekend?
Is your week off to a good start??

Okay. I don't know about you- but I really struggle with being "interrupted." 
Not like someone interrupting me when I am trying to talk (while that's definitely not a favorite of mine...HA!)- but more like- I have an agenda. I have a to-do list and basically nothing else matters until I get every darn item on that list checked off.

Anyone else out there reading this feeling like we might have some things in common?!
HA!

Anyway...I have definitely become more flexible in my agenda...especially as we have grown our family- so I have an understanding that some things just aren't going to get done.
BUT- it doesn't mean I like that.

It doesn't mean that I don’t get a bit cranky with my kiddos and husband if I have to be doing something for them instead of working on MY "to-do" list.
It doesn't mean that I have to constantly SLOW MYSELF DOWN and not only be okay with my list of things to do not getting done- but also not find my IDENTITY in what I accomplish.

The past couple of months, especially as we have entered into Advent, I have really been hearing God tell me- "It's okay to be interrupted. It is actually GOOD for you to be interrupted."

So I have really been leaning into that message, praying about it and REALLY working on being interrupted. Whether that means answering my phone when I really don't want to talk, initiating a conversation with someone I know will want to spend some time talking (even though I really need to go do a bunch of other things), pausing in my daily household duties when one of my kids wants to talk, bake together, show me a picture or just NEEDS me to look at them and feel seen. 
It's feels pretty vulnerable to share that this is something I need to work on and that God has asked me to focus on...but I find a lot of freedom in "exposing" the not so pretty parts of myself....because I know God loves every single part of me- and I hope that maybe one of you might not feel so alone in an area where you are struggling.
SO.
Long story short...I need to be INTERRUPTED.
HA!

And the way I have been practicing that is looking at my time as a GIFT and working on freely giving that gift!
I don't know about you- but I am DONE with all of the sales and the buy this! Swipe up!

Don't get me wrong. I love a good deal and I do LOVE to shop. BUT- there's a reason I get my shopping done early. I start to almost feel taken over by all the STUFF.
Especially when I feel like we all know...in the end- none of that matters.

With all that being said- I wanted to share a gift guide of sorts- with the focus being on TIME.

Like I said- I am a HUGE work in progress in this area- but I have really been trying to practice being a "happy giver" when it comes to my time.

Here's just a few ideas I have been doing or want to do- not just during the Advent/Christmas season...but all the time!

1)  Schedule a hot chocolate/hot tea/diet coke/coffee date with someone. It could be one of your kids, a friend, your husband- anyone in your life that you always say to yourself- "I wish we had time to talk/get together!" Make the time and do it. 
Also- since a lot of my friends and my family do not live in the same town as me- I have thought about doing a Facetime date. A virtual coffee date- wouldn't that be fun?!

2) Bake with your kiddos when they ask. UGH. This one is hard for me. BUT- I have been saying "yes" to this request and it has been SO good. I have found what works best for me- is to have a couple cake mixes, brownie mixes and cookie mixes on hand. It is much more manageable for all of us when we have to add just a few ingredients to a mix. I have also found that my kids aren’t necessarily concerned with the "act" of baking but more with me saying "yes" to their request and the end product of having made a treat :) 
3) I am going to leave this as vague as possible since this is a public blog and anyone can read it.....make TIME for your spouse (if this applies to you :)
Take the time to know his love language and love him in that way. 
That might mean scheduling a date, doing an at home dinner after the kids go to bed, or making time for other things ;) I am leaving that there :)

4) Talk to the person in line by you at Walmart, the post office or the grocery store. You are waiting...why not take the time to talk with someone instead of looking at your phone?!

5) STOP and HUG one of your people. Look them in the eyes and tell them you LOVE them, you are THANKFUL for them and ask them if they need to talk about anything?

A just a few ideas that apply specifically to Christmas-
1) Gather up some Christmas books, put a blanket in front of the Christmas tree and have a book reading date with one or all of your kiddos!
2) Invite a friend over for a festive coffee/tea and an hour to chat.
3) Schedule a night to make some hot chocolate at home and go for a Christmas lights drive!
4) Re-evaluate all the festive parties/activities/events you have planned and cancel one of them. Use that open afternoon/evening and ask your family what they would like to do with that open block of time!

Obviously there are sooooo many ideas out there. I guarantee you can find lists upon lists on Pinterest :) These are just a few that have been on my mind.

I would love it if you would share an idea of how you like to gift your time in the comments! 
The more ideas the better!!

Here's to being INTERRUPTED.
Hope you have the BEST day!

Linking up with HeatherJohannahTanya and Lindsay!

Comments

  1. Love this! Ella and I spontaneously made cookies and decorated a gingerbread house this weekend and it was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with being “interrupted” sooo much too. Needed to read this today and I scramble around and try to scratch things off my list ugh. There is nothing more valuable to our kids than our undivided attention and time! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESSSS to all of this! Thank you for sharing. Helps to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I am also a very task-oriented person and can get caught up in my to-do list. Two things that I try to work on, sometimes with success and other times not! Giving attention to the person talking to you by looking at them and setting aside what you're doing is one thing. Unfortunately, that thing I'm doing is often technology. I also try to not zone out on my phone when I'm in a waiting area or line. It is an easy way to close off from those around you and miss out on possible conversations. Thanks for the great post. And I agree about all the swipe ups. I'm about shopped out (although I will have my gift guide link up tomorrow...ha, ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are we the same person!?! Ha! I got teary eyed as I read through this post because it really hit home with me. I am so task, list, to do oriented and it is definitely something I have to keep in check. I cringe when I think about the times I pick productivity over connections. Thanks for this sweet reminder as we enter a very busy BUY BUY BUY holiday season. I'm off to work on connections over getting everything crossed off my to do list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I appreciate your kind comments and love engaging with ya'll!!!

Popular Posts