Recap: Personal Health Goal for 2023

Hey friends!!
Happy Tuesday!! How was your weekend?? Did you get an extra day off like we did? 
Well- Aaron didn't have off and my oldest daughter had school- but the other five of us were home!  Our weekend was a good mix of doing stuff around the house and having some wonderful family time at my mom's house!

Ok. We're 6ish weeks into 2024- and while most people have probably moved on from reflecting on the last year, I am still thinking about the goals I accomplished and how that is the setting the tone for this year!
Let me give a little background about me- I struggled with my weight when I was in high school, college and graduate school. At my unhealthiest point, I weighed around 190 pounds.
I wrote a series of three posts sharing about my health and wellness journey that describe in a lot more detail my "journey." 
You can check out Part One- HERE!
Part Two can be found HERE
And Part Three is HERE!

For many years of my "getting healthy" journey- I followed the Weight Watchers program. 
I stopped following that program in 2020. I shifted to focusing on my caloric intake- specifically making sure I was eating 110-130 grams of protein a day. 

And I continued to maintain the weight where I felt the healthiest for about 1.5 years. 

And then things started to shift for me..at the end of 2021 and through 2022.
 The amount of stress that I was experiencing in my life was intensifying at a pretty rapid rate. And with that stress- I fell back into habits of overeating when I felt stressed/tired/upset- which was A LOT of the time. 

Over that 1.5 year period, I gained 10 pounds. Which I know may not sound like a lot to some people- but I FELT every pound. My clothes were not fitting properly, I got an excruciating case of tendinitis and my plantar fasciitis flared up. I continued to exercise every day- but I was not feeling strong in my workouts. Overall, mentally and physically, I did NOT feel good

During this time period, as I gained the weight and felt terrible in my body- I came up with EVERY excuse as to why I couldn't lose the weight. I would "get back on track" for 4-5 days, lose a couple pounds (water weight) and then I would overeat and boom. The weight was back. 
So- I blamed my hormones. This was perimenopause's fault! 
I tried some crazy eating plans- that were NOT good for me. And basically- I just stayed stuck.

Cue the beginning of 2023. I told myself- "you are done with this bullshit." 
I was SO sick of myself and the excuses I was making for myself. 
The truth of the matter was- I was eating too much. Plain and simple.

And I was expecting a "good" couple of days of eating- to reverse a lot of days of over eating.
 
I started following Jordan Syatt and Susan Neibergall on Instagram. I joined Jordan's Inner Circle program and I told myself- I didn't care how long it took- I was losing the weight AND I was going get stronger in 2023.


And so that's what I did! It took me NINE MONTHS to achieve my goal. Some months were easier than others. There was many a time- I just wanted to give up. Most of the time- I stayed focused on the BIG picture. The growth that was taking place in my commitment to my health.    It was truly an awesome journey and I am so thankful for it all!!

To avoid being long winded, I am going to share a more detailed post of what I did to lose the weight AND build my strength on Wednesday (spoiler alert- it's not that complicated. HA!)
 I also want to share some pictures of my "results."

I thought about keeping this goal and my results to myself. 
At the very beginning of 2023, on Instagram, I shared that I wanted to lose 10 pounds (amongst a few other goals) and that was the last time I talked about it. 

But, the more I reflected on the changes I have made, the more I realized that someone else out there might benefit from hearing about my experience. 
I see A LOT of women struggling to feel GOOD and I also see the majority of those women spinning their wheels trying out every eating plan, diet, or special hormone protocol- to not really see anything results. 
And the truth is- I don't think most people want to own up to the truth (I know I didn't!!!)- which is- it's really freaking hard to be consistent- and not let life, emotions and all the other noise out in the world derail you from what you know you need to do!!

Thanks for checking in today friends! I hope sharing a recap of this particular health goal of mine, will reach one of you and possibly inspire you! Maybe you have been wanting to make a change- and were just waiting for a sign to signal that it's TIME TO GET STARTED!
Have a wonderful day! See you back here tomorrow!!

Comments

  1. I needed to hear this today! Thank you for sharing! Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad it was what you needed to hear today!! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  2. I just finished reading your entire story. Thank you so much for being transparent and sharing! I have “mysteriously“ gained over 20 pounds in the last 16-18 months and I really can’t explain it. I’m having all the feelings that you shared about in parts one and two and know I cannot do this alone (what a gift Aaron was to you!) I find it difficult to open up with others about what I need. It’s tricky. Thanks for sharing, I know that all the women in blogland who have started writing about this and sharing their journeys are landing in my feed for a reason :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment :) And yes! You need to feel vulnerable enough to share where you are- I think it will help you so much in moving forward!

      Delete
  3. I love Jordan and just joined the Inner Circle last week! Also needing those 10lbs off and feeling very much like you did. I appreciate your sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for the inner circle!! I am so excited for his new app!!!

      Delete
  4. I needed to hear this today - thank you!!! Following your journey has been such an inspiration. Please keep sharing all of the ups and downs along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words!! I am so glad this is what you needed to hear today!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing! I want to lose 10 pounds, have for over a year and my normal go to's aren't working. Looking forward to your post tomorrow 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope something I share is helpful for you! Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your story! I have been struggling with my weight since 2020 and last Nov had foot surgery which required no weight on it for 2 months resulting in 5 more pounds. On Saturday I started my Day One with Robin from Peloton for consistent work to drop these 15lbs. Your story is inspirational. Can’t wait to hear the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes girl!! I have seen her new program and it looks amazing. You are a warrior for getting through foot surgery and that recovery!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I appreciate your kind comments and love engaging with ya'll!!!

Popular Posts